Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: VX-2000, anybody using it?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member andrew_jakobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 1999
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hi,

    I'm thinking of buying a new dv-camera, as I have used the VX-1000 (once for a short), I'm thinking of buying the VX-2000, but since it very pricey and technologie moves on such a high speed, I'm terrified that when I buy this one, there will be a new one which has 24 fps (progressive scan)or better, in just over a month or 2. So what I want to know is , how well is this camera, and does anybody know of new camera's soon to be released which has 24 fps or better.

    Thanx

  2. #2
    Mark Jury
    Guest Mark Jury's Avatar

    Post

    how much are you selling your VX-1000 for?

    Also, how many fps do hi-8 cameras run?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member tashunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2000
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    almost all cameras run at 30 fps, it's actually 60 frames but 2 are interlaced/second. The Canon XL1 has a mode where it shoots 30 solid frames. I would consider buying this camera before any others. I have never heard a complaint about it and the images it creates are the nicest I've seen on any digital camera. If you've seen the ad for the Canon ZR10 it was shot with the XL1. Beautiful camera, I dream about several times a week. One day.

    tash.

    ------------------
    "Grab a handful of St. John's Wort and a Giant Coke Slurpee and go make a movie."

  4. #4
    Mark Jury
    Guest Mark Jury's Avatar

    Post

    yeah, I hear video is 33 fps. So how come a film shot at 24fps seems to run slower when played back? -- if film is shot at 33fps it's in slow motion. Please explain in detail

  5. #5
    Inactive Member tashunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2000
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As far as I know the NTSC video standard is 29.97 frames per second. I think the PAL standard is 24 fps but I'm not sure, someone in U.K. would probably be able to better answer that.

    If you shoot film at 30 frames per second but then play it back at 24 fps (typical projection speed) it will be slow mo because the 30 frames will now take up 1.25 seconds instead of one (24 frames for one second plus 6 left over). That's about all their is to it. The old standard in the 20's, 30's etc. was 16 fps that's why in old movies everything seems to be wired on caffeine. If you take this to an extreme you get time lapse......shoot 1 frame per hour and you get one second playback on an entire 24 hour day. Your camera has to have a single shot function for this (if film), some video cams have this function built in (vx1000 being one of them). That's about all I can think of. Hope I helped.

    ttfn.
    tash.

    ------------------
    "Grab a handful of St. John's Wort and a Giant Coke Slurpee and go make a movie."

  6. #6
    Inactive Member marti-c's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2000
    Posts
    298
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The pal system in the uk is 25 fps. This itself would make the picture seem like a flicker, therefore the signal displayed is 50fps. Because the transmission limitations 25fps are displayed through 2 interlaced fields giving the desired 50 frames. This is linked technically to the 50hertz electricity supply. Whereas in the U.S. i think its 60hertz therefore they have the 2 fields of 30 frames shown.

    Incidently the frames used in the cinema is 24frames per second. I heard somewhere that 24 frames shown themselves would give the old time flickering effect, therefore they show the same frame twice to give the viewing equivalent of 48 frames. Maybe someone on this forum could confirm this.

    The interesting thing about this whole illusion is that both tv and cinema rely on a thing called "persistence of vision". A rough explanation of this is that the brain remembers what it sees for a split second, therefore if a second image is displayed fast enough it appears as uninterupted movement.....hence movies and tv shows.
    Makes you think what an alien with a different persistence of vision time would make of our movies and television smile

    marti

  7. #7
    Inactive Member tashunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2000
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You also have to consider that the 24 fps does not mean the picture is displayed for 1/24 of a second. You must count for film transport time. I was told the actual amount of time a single frame is projected in it's resting position is about 1/60 of a second. Slower then 1/30 of a second is when your eye will see "flicker".

    ------------------
    "Grab a handful of St. John's Wort and a Giant Coke Slurpee and go make a movie."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •